Monday, October 27, 2008

Cooking and sheep

Janis with sheep 3

I have had a long week. First off Mr. Yarn's father ended up in ICU and is really sick. Mr Yarn had to hop on a plane to San Antonio and was there for a week. I had a friend coming into town from the Bay Area and we were on our way to Rhinebeck in upstate New York. We were going to the Wool and Sheep festival. It is a long story involving the "Bates Motel" and a COLD day walking around looking at Fiber related stuff. My favorite part of the day was getting to see sheep and watching them being judged. I especially fell in love with the one that stood up and kept putting its head on my shoulder. My new pal. As you can see I was dressed like the Michelin Tire man for the occasion.

Moving on.


Gourmet 2006

When Val was here to visit she brought me an issue of Gourmet magazine from January 2006. I must say that it is one of the best issues I have ever seen from Gourmet. I stopped being a big fan of theirs when the issues became more about snotty places to visit than food. This issue has 65 years 65recipes. It is from the 40's (when the magazine began) until 2006. I told Val that I would make everything in that magazine and blog about it. I must change that to say I will make most of what is in that magazine and blog it (I just can't bring myself to make Braised Pork Loin and PRUNES). I just can't bring myself to make some of the stuff in there.

So, Rich came home on Saturday night and we started cooking from the magazine last night. My first recipe. It is from 1964 (I am not going in order of date) and it is "Drunkard's Soup with Egg Barley".

bacon

Starts with bacon (can't go wrong there).

Continues with onions.

onions

It also involves sauerkraut and Kielbasa. The main ingredient is Barley shaped egg noodles (yeah, manischevitz) which are browned with some paprika and flour.

barley noodles


Ends up in the cooking process looking like this (and I should have known the outcome)

cooking

Let cook for 1.5 hours (huh?) and you get this:

Finished gop

All I can say is 1 down and eaten (not my favorite, as a matter of fact LOW on the list).

I would post recipes but it is a copyright infringement to do so. Lets just say you aren't missing anything.

4 comments:

Fendesha said...

Welcome home Mr. Yarn! EWWW... your welcome home dinner looks well- "delicious" - glad we were out of town- ha ha. Love the sheep pic!!

Stefaneener said...

Well, you made the effort to give him a nice dinner. . . I'm glad he's back. Parents and their health can be tough and scary.

That sheep looks as though it knows it's found a softie. You managed to come home without it? Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Mr. Yarn Senior's poor health.
I, too, turn to egg noodles in times of crisis. Eating is almost as good as knitting.

Fendesha said...

have you been tagged yet? If not -see my blog for details- I'm tagging you. It's okay if you don't want to participate :-).